Tips on how to cook brown rice, and other ideas on how to use brown rice for your baby.
Brown rice is far more nutritious than white. A grain of rice is composed of several different layers, and it is only the outside layer, the \'hull\', that is removed during the production of brown rice, so very little goodness is lost by the grain in the process. It is an excellent source of the trace mineral manganese, and a good source of the minerals selenium and magnesium.
Brown rice is far more nutritious than white. A grain of rice is composed of several different layers, and it is only the outside layer, the \'hull\', that is removed during the production of brown rice, so very little goodness is lost by the grain in the process.
The easiest way to prepare brown rice for very young babies is to first rinse it, then grind it in a food processor that's designed for the job.
If your baby is older, try using short grain brown rice in dishes that you cook for him. Because it's fairly soft, it sticks together in clumps and is perfect for creamy dishes like rice pudding.
Brown rice takes about twice as long to cook as white rice. You can, however, reduce the cooking time by measuring out the amount of water you will need to cook it, then soaking it overnight. This speeds up the cooking time. Remember - don't drain the water you soaked it in, use it to cook the rice instead. This means you don't lose any of its precious nutrients.
Ideas for your baby using brown rice:
• Combine cooked brown rice with warm breast milk or formula, then add a little touch of cinnamon or nutmeg.
• Mix cooked brown rice (either ground or regular) with a dollop of unflavoured natural yogurt and a fruit purée of your baby's choice.
• Combine cooked brown rice with steamed vegetables - you can either purée them before mixing, or just chop them if your baby is happy to chew.
• Cook brown rice for your baby in homemade chicken, beef or vegetable stock/broth for a rich, interesting flavour.
• Cook a little batch of short grain brown rice, clump it together with your fingers and serve it to your baby as a very healthy finger food.